Sunday 3 August 2014

Pint sized dogs, heat wave and trying Swedish Paleo


It took nearly 18 hours to get here, flying from San Francisco via London and Copenhagen - but the lovely Swedish summer is worth the long travel. We're having somewhat of a heat wave and it's much warmer here than in SF! Apparently it's been like this for a while and the locals are getting a little fed up.


Getting my Paleo fix

Continuing with the Paleo lifestyle I've started introducing my mum to paleo eating. So far we've cooked Sweet potato hash and beef patties for breakfast, whole roast chicken and carrot hash for dinner and a handful of other recipes. Oh and of course paleo banana pancakes!

Going to the Swedish supermarket was a 'new' experience. I think I must have gotten used to the good quality meat options and  huge variety of fruit and vegetables available in our local SF store - because although Swedish ICA offered an enormous selection of ready made meals, the fruit and veg department was looking pretty sparse and the meat isle consisted of mostly ready marinated and flavoured meats. Additives, and bad fats aplenty.

There were lots of 'ekologiskt', or organic options but as far as I could see there was no labelling for grass fed or pasture raised meats - so either it doesn't exist here, or all farm animals live better lives in Sweden!

Of course we did find some real whole foods though - and our meals so far have been great.

Getting my dog fix
I've been walking and snuggling with Stina, my mum's cute little mini pincher/ chihuahua cross. She is a pint sized little sweetie - and I barely notice when she pulls on the lead as hard as she can, I guess that's the advantage with tiny dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment